Thursday, February 24, 2011

P is for Puffin: A Newfoundland and Labrador Alphabet written by Janet Skirving

P is for Puffin: A Newfoundland and Labrador Alphabet (Alphabet Books)P is for Puffin: A Newfoundland and Labrador Alphabet written by Janet Skirving and illustrated by Odell Archibald (Newfoundland author and illustrator)
This book can be read and enjoyed as a simple alphabet book by reading just the main text on each page, or it can become the jump off point for some great social studies learning by reading the additional information on each page, making it a book applicable to many age groups.   There is a Teacher Guide for P is for Puffin with all kinds of different activity sheets, most of which would be suitable for older children.

To be perfectly truthful, I found some of the rhyming in the book's main text to be difficult and contrived, but I do see us coming back to this book again as a basis for some social studies learning.  It is a wealth of information and the pictures are beautiful.

Don't forget to Vote for your Favorite Book Featured in January? 
Come join our Book a Day Challenge for a chance for a prize!
On our Newsletter blog sign up to have the monthly newsletter delivered to your email address or blog reader.

1 comment:

  1. When looking for a list of Newfoundland books for young people, I found your wonderful site. I referred to it when compiling my teasers for this past week, which includes a mini-review of Dawn Baker's Newfoundland Alphabet picture book.

    On Allison's Book Bag this weekend, I featured two Newfoundland picture books which not featured on your site:
    * A “2” Z Just “4” Me
    * A Girl with A Dream

    Here is my review of those books:
    http://allisonsbookbag.wordpress.com/2011/07/16/review-of-eva-keefes-books/

    Here is my interview with Eva Keefe, the author of those two books:
    http://allisonsbookbag.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/interview-with-eva-keefe/

    Although I now live in the United States, my home province is Newfoundland and Labrador. I will be reviewing more Newfoundland fiction and so will keep watch on your site. I would also like to expand my blog to include reviews of Canadian fiction and Christian fiction. More reasons to return! Actually, I am also a subscriber.

    ReplyDelete